All Australian Health Practitioners Regulation Agency (AHPRA) registered medical imaging and radiation therapy practitioners may apply for registration in New Zealand under the Trans-Tasman Mutual Recognition Act (TTMRA) pathway.

If you are a Sonographer or Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) Technologist, you will need to apply according to the requirements for an overseas-trained applicant.

Applying for an APC

You must wait until you are a resident in New Zealand or can provide evidence of your move to New Zealand before applying for an APC. Once you are registered, and before you begin working in New Zealand, you must apply to the Board for an annual practising certificate (APC).

Registration Timeframe

Providing your application is received with all the required documentation and the full registration fee payment you can expect to receive confirmation of your registration within 30 days.  

To apply for registration, you will need to provide: 


A certified copy of your qualification. A photocopy may be certified as a true copy by a solicitor, Notary Public, Justice of the Peace, or an Officer of the Court.

Character and Experience
  • Two Certificates of Good Character that ha¬≠ve been completed by persons unrelated to you, and one of whom is a practising medical imaging and/or radiation therapy practitioner.
  • A certified copy of your AHPRA registration certificate.
  • The Board will contact AHPRA direct to request verification of your registration (letter of good standing).
  • Evidence of name change if applicable (certified copy of your marriage, birth or deed poll certificate).
  • One passport-style photograph signed with your signature, and certified to be a true likeness of yourself (stating your name) by a solicitor, Notary Public, Justice of the Peace, or an Officer of the Court.
Evidence of Employment

Curriculum Vitae.

Criminal conviction
  • A criminal conviction notice that is no more than six months old from each country you have lived and worked in for more than 12 months.

Criminal history checks that are accepted by the Council:

For countries not on this list, please check the Immigration New Zealand website.

Please note, criminal check certificates issued by a third party will not be accepted.

Fee payment

You must pay the required fee at the time you submit your application. No refund will be given if your application is unsuccessful.