The Board has been made aware that the publication of its supervision policy and the documented levels of supervision required, has created several questions around its implementation. The Board’s understanding is that these questions are regarding those practitioners registered in training scopes. The Board is currently considering this matter and will provide further advice to the sector regarding implementation of the policy in due course.

The Board wishes to advise that in the interim, the status quo i.e., the level of supervision required before the policy was released, for those in “trainee scopes” remains.

NZ Trained - How to Register

Graduates who have obtained their qualification from a New Zealand accredited education programme can apply for registration with the Medical Radiation Technologists Board.

The Board has accredited the following New Zealand undergraduate qualifications for registration:

Medical Imaging Technologist:

  • Bachelor of Medical Imaging - Ara Institute of Canterbury
  • Bachelor of Applied Science (Medical Imaging Technology) - Universal College of Learning (UCOL)
  • Bachelor of Health Science (Medical Imaging) - Unitec Institute of Technology
  • Bachelor of Medical Imaging (Honours) – the University of Auckland

Magnetic Resonance Imaging Technologist:

  • Postgraduate Diploma in Health Sciences in Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) - the University of Auckland

Nuclear Medicine Technologist:

  • Postgraduate Diploma in Health Sciences in Medical Imaging (Nuclear Medicine pathway) - the University of Auckland

Radiation Therapist:

  • Bachelor of Radiation Therapy - the University of Otago


  • Postgraduate Diploma in Health Sciences in Ultrasound - the University of Auckland


Please note - you must provide a duly completed application form, along with fee payment, before the Medical Radiation Technologists Board will consider your application.

A completed New Zealand application may include any number of the following documents:

  • Certified copy of your qualification certificate(s)
  • Two certificates of good character
  • One passport-style photograph
  • Evidence of name change
  • A criminal conviction notice that is no more than six months old issued by the Ministry of Justice.
  • A criminal conviction notice that is no more than six months old from each country you have lived and worked in for more than 12 months.

In addition to the above, if you are applying for registration in a trainee scope of practice, you will need to provide the following information:

  • Evidence of enrolment in a Board-approved training course
  • The clinical site where you will be undertaking your training
  • Name of your supervisor

These documents are a legal requirement and provision of them is non-negotiable.