Raise a concern (member of the public)

Before making a complaint

If you are unhappy with the quality of a practitioner’s service or conduct, your first option might be discussing the matter directly with the practitioner or the relevant practice or hospital. If you feel this is not appropriate, or doing so does not resolve the issue, you may wish to consider contacting the Nationwide Health and Disability Advocacy Service (the Advocacy Service) for advice. You can contact the Advocacy Service via their website or by calling 0800 555 050.

Complaints to the Medical Radiation Technologists Board (the Board)

You can make a complaint directly to the Board.  If you notify us directly, we are required by law to refer your notification directly to the Health and Disability Commissioner (HDC).

If you notify the HDC directly and they start a formal investigation, they will advise the Board, and we will determine whether to begin our process alongside theirs.

The Board is unable to act on any anonymous complaints.

Complaints to the HDC

You can make a notification directly to the HDC. The HDC’s role is to promote and protect your rights as set out in the Code of Health and Disability Services Consumers’ Rights (The Code).

The HDC tries to resolve notifications fairly and quickly. If they decide the Code has been breached, the HDC may require the practitioner to make changes to the way they practise. The HDC may also refer the matter to the Board.

You can contact the HDC via their website or by calling 0800 112 233.