Trainee Scopes of Practice
Training scopes of practice are available in nuclear medicine, sonography, or magnetic resonance imaging. You are not permitted to practise unsupervised in an additional scope of practice until registration in that scope of practice has been approved.
Applications are to be made through the online registration link. Once completed, you will receive a confirmation email with a checklist that is to be included with your application along with the following documentation:
- Up-to-date Curriculum Vitae; and
- The name of the clinical site where you will be undertaking the training scope of practice; and
- The name of the registered medical radiation technologist who will supervise you throughout your training period. Your supervisor must hold a current practising certificate in the scope of practice for which you are seeking registration in as a training scope.
If you are applying for a trainee sonographer scope of practice, and you are not already registered with the Board, you will need to provide the above, and:
- One passport-style photograph signed with your usual signature and certified to be a true likeness of yourself (stating your name) by a referee of a Justice of the Peace on the reverse; and
- A police certificate that is no more than 3 months old.
Please note if you are undertaking a post graduate diploma in Sonography or MRI that does not contain a clinical component, you will be required to complete 3360 clinical hours and undergo a Registration Examination Assessment (REA).
Trainee Nuclear Medicine Technologist:
A trainee nuclear medicine technologist (NMT) undertakes training in a Board approved programme in nuclear medicine imaging.
If you have a health related qualification approved by the Board, you can apply for registration as a Trainee NMT. Upon completion of the nuclear medicine training programme, you will be eligible to apply for registration as a NMT.
A trainee sonographer undertakes postgraduate training in a Board approved programme in ultrasound.
If you have a health related qualification approved by the Board, you can apply for registration as a Trainee Sonographer. Upon completion of the ultrasound training programme, you will be eligible to apply for registration as a Sonographer.
Trainee Magnetic Resonance Imaging Technologist:
A trainee magnetic resonance imaging technologist (MRIT) undertakes postgraduate training in a Board approved programme in magnetic resonance imaging.
If you have a health related qualification approved by the Board you can apply for registration as a Trainee MRIT. Upon completion of the MRI training programme, you will be eligible to apply for registration as a MRIT.
Adding a Scope of Practice:
After gaining your postgraduate qualification in Nuclear Medicine, Sonography, or Magnetic Resonance Imaging, and completing the required number of clinical hours, you may apply to the Board for registration in the relevant scope of practice through online registration.