If you hold an overseas qualification your education and experience must equip you with clinical and theoretical knowledge and skills, at least equivalent to the competencies of a New Zealand graduate.
Fitness to practice and English language requirements
Effective English and communications skills are a prerequisite to practise in New Zealand.
All registration applicants must meet the Board's English language requirements. Refer to the policy to find out if you are required to undertake the IELTS assessment.
For more information regarding IELTS go to www.ielts.org
For more information regarding the fitness to practise requirements for registration click here.
You can submit an application for registration online through the ‘Register online’ button. Once your application has been made, you will be able to upload the required supporting documentation electronically through your online profile.
Please note, your application will not register on our database until payment of the registration fee has been made.
Each application for registration is assessed on an individual basis.
To support your application for registration, you will need to provide:
- A certified copy of your qualification;
- A certified copy of your academic transcript;
- If applicable, copy of your clinical log book detailing examinations/procedures completed during clinical component of qualification;
- Two Certificates of Good Character that have been completed by persons unrelated to you, and one of whom is a practising medical imaging and/or radiation therapy practitioner;
- Certificates of Employment covering the 5 years of employment prior to the date of your application;
- MRTB Clinical Experience Form (relevant to the scope of practice you are applying for registration in);
- Evidence of name change if applicable (certified copy of your marriage, birth or deed poll certificate);
- A copy of your IELTS examination results (if required);
- Curriculum Vitae;
- A copy of the full course curriculum (in English) for the qualification programme you undertook;
- One passport-style photograph signed with your signature and certified to be a true likeness of yourself (stating your name) by a person authorised to make statutory declarations in the country you are residing in;
- If you are registered with a licensing/registration authority in your home country or any other country, please provide a certified copy of your registration certificate;
- Certificate of Good Standing from each licensing/registration authority you are or have been registered with. The Certificate of Good Standing should state that there are no outstanding complaints against you in regard to your conduct as a health professional. The certificate must not be more than 6 months old at the date of your application;
- A letter from professional accreditation body confirming accreditation/recognition of the programme of study you completed for registration or license to practice;
- A criminal record check, or equivalent, from every country you have resided in, for one year or more, from the age of 16. The document must be an original or certified copy and must be issued within 3 months prior to the date of your application. Please note, criminal record checks issued by a third party will not be accepted.
Documents can be certified as a true copy by a Solicitor, Notary Public, Justice of the Peace, Officer of the Court or any other person authorised to make statutory declarations in the country you are residing in.
Criminal history checks
The following criminal history checks are accepted by the Board:
- United Kingdom ACRO
- Australia AFP
- South Africa South African Police Service Clearance Certificate
- Canada RCMP
- United States of America FBI
- Philippines NBI Clearance
For countries not on this list, please check the Immigration New Zealand website.